Friday 15 July 2011

Vengsarkar’s bid fails, Deshmukh to head MCA

It was the last day for Dilip Vengsarkar in the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) office as the former India captain won’t be holding any post for the next two years at the association headquarters in the Wankhede Stadium.

On Friday, former Maharashtra chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh pipped his rival Vengsarkar for the top post in the MCA by 47 votes. The result meant that a politician will continue to run Mumbai cricket, a trend that has been in existence since 1992.

Deshmukh, who was backed by veteran politician and incumbent Sharad Pawar, had the last laugh with 182 votes, while Vengsarkar managed to clinch 135. There is no doubt that Deshmukh’s political background convinced voters to back him as a majority of them returned a politician back to the chief’s chair.

“We will work together in the coming years, and a lot of work is to be done for betterment of Mumbai cricket. I will need your support. I thank you all for electing me, and I also thank Pawar-Mahadalkar for nominating me. I assure you that I shall keep up the good work done by Pawar,” he said after the win.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Chitika

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites